Sunday, April 4, 2010

"I am simple, how do you say?"



(Deep breath) I don’t know how to answer. For my life, what makes me happy? The first thing that makes me happy, is to put a ring and that I’m going to be stay with someone. Not my cousin, not my friend. I want to stay with someone. First my girlfriend, then she become my wife. After that, to play and have children. I’m happy right now I’m working, I’m happy. I don’t drink, maybe sometimes I might try to drink. I don’t really drink. Sometimes, I smoke if it’s cold, only one or two cigarettes. But if there is too much stress or too much thinking, I just smoke some weed. Not every day, just when I have problems.

ME: So all of these things make you happy? Anything else?
You ask me this question, and I want to tell you that I love you. But maybe I should just say I like you. I want to be your friend. But if, if something happens, I would like it.

ME: I'm flattered, but I'm not really looking for a long distance boyfriend. But you're very in touch with your emotions, that's rare.

I have worked here for three years, I see every kind of traveler from Nigeria, Australia, America, I just feel in me that if there is some connection then I must tell you. I cannot hold it in. That’s why I love it here in South Africa. I speak French, I am a French man. I’m just here to pay rent, save some in the bank and see the World Cup. My family has money in the Congo, but I just wanted to come here. So I like working here. I learn a lot, I meet a lot of people. Five days a week, I am here. Monday and Tuesday are my only days to sleep. But I like it. I learned English here. I didn’t take classes, I didn’t have the money, but I learned here by working and working. When I am home, I like to play Sega and Nintendo or I go to the park. I don’t have a lot of friends here in South Africa, it’s just the managers here and the crew who works here. Some of my friends from the DRC are here, so I will see them. I am simple, how do you say?"


-Doudou, hostel evening shift worker in Cape Town from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, 21 years old.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Raw, real, honest. And the fact that he told you he loved you and then said maybe he just liked you is Awesome! Men are the same no matter what continent you're on. And that's real life :)

    ReplyDelete